car accidents

Automobile Accident Damage F. A. Q.

Automobile Accident Damage F. A. Q.

When your vehicle is damaged in an auto accident, you will want to have it repaired and on the road again as quickly as possible.

Who decides where it is repaired? You can decide where your vehicle is repaired. The insurance company decides how much will be paid for the repairs, which may not be the same amount as the repair shop estimate.

Will the repair shop charge me for storage? The insurance company of the person who caused the accident will pay towing and storage costs, according to what is reasonable in your area. If the vehicle is declared a total loss, the insurance company will pay to move it to a salvage or wrecking yard. If you do not allow the company to move your vehicle, you will be liable for any storage or towing fees. More information from our austin car attorneys here
Who decides if my vehicle is repairable or totaled? The insurance company that is liable for payment can decide that your vehicle is not worth repairing. If the cost of the labor and parts exceeds the market value of your vehicle, the company can declare it a total loss and pay you the market value. Market value is determined by the fair market value of similar vehicles in your area, or from an independent source such as the Kelley Blue Book. If you want to keep the vehicle after it has been declared a total loss, you must pay the salvage value to the insurance company.

Who pays the bank loan if my vehicle is financed? You are still liable for any loans on the vehicle. If the fair market value of your vehicle is less than the outstanding loan, you are still required to pay the entire loan amount.

Do I get a rental vehicle while my vehicle is being repaired? You can always get a rental vehicle if you are willing to pay for it. If you want the insurance company to pay for it, while your vehicle is being repaired or replaced, payment depends on several factors. If you caused the accident, check to see if your own insurance coverage includes rental vehicles. Many policies do not include rental vehicles unless it is specifically stated. If the other driver caused the accident, then you can expect the liable person’s insurance company to pay the costs of providing you with a rental vehicle. The vehicle will be a substitute for your own vehicle, that is, a vehicle of similar quality. Be sure to check with your own insurance company about insurance coverage on the rental vehicle.

I just paid for my license plates. Do I have to pay for new ones? The insurance company should pay the prorated amount of any unused registration fees and transfer fees for the new registrations.

If you or a loved one is in need of legal assistance, call the skilled
car accident lawyers at our Law Firm toll-free. Our firm offers a free case evaluation. Our dedicated team can help you understand your legal rights and obtain the compensation you are entitled to.